Saturday, February 7, 2009

Make Your Own Glimmer Mist

This week I have been researching Glimmer Mist that is used to spray on your cards, tags, and layouts to give them a cool effect. Being that these little bottles of spray can be expensive if your buy them, about $7, I wondered a way to make them on my own. I found out there are 2 different ways to make them using a product called Perfect Pearls or Pearl Ex.

Method #1: Made with Perfect Pearls

Supplies needed are a Package of Perfect Pearls, Bottles of Re-inker, small spray bottle, popsicle stick and water.

Pick Your favorite color re-inker and add to spray bottle. The more you add the more intense the color, then take popsicle stick and dip out a small amount of perfect pearls on the end and add to the spray bottle. Next add water to fill about a 3rd of the way up. Shake all this up and you have the instant glimmer mist of your choice. Remember you can mix and match re-inkers and different colors of perfect pearls to make your own assortment of glimmer mist products. FYI: I use the small travel size empty hair spray bottles from Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby to mix mine up.

Method # 2: Made with Pearl Ex

Supplies Needed include a package of Pearl Ex, small travel size bottle of hairspray,optional food color.

Take a popsicle stick and dip out a small amount of Pearl Ex and add to travel size hairspray and shake it up. You can add food color or re-inker to make the color change more but they are not needed if you because Pearl-Ex has its own color. You now have your own glimmer mist.

These are just two ways that I found to make this product and I hope it helps you to me more frugal and save some money with your paper crafting. Let me know if you have any other methods or try these with success.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great versions! I have a version too on my frugal scrappers page on my blog. I've added your suggestions too hope you don't mind. http://artycrafty.wordpress.com/frugal-scrappingfrugal-scrapping/

Pat said...

Where is a good place to purchase Perfect Pearls a a low price?
Pat
ladydrakks@hotmail.com

Denise said...

You can also use colored mica powder like what is in the Glimmer Mist. You can find it online and it's pretty inexpensive.